Friday, July 13, 2012

Dear Viacom

Note for promotion and description of unwanted touching, rape culture, hostility to consent, and utter garbage.
Before we go, I'm excited to introduce to you a new segment called "Lightly Touching Women's Stomachs While They're Sitting Down." [laughter] Okay, it's not what you think—this is where you sneak up behind women who are sitting down and lightly put your hand on their stomach. [laughter] Make sure she's aware that you are in fact feeling a roll. [cut to video clip montage of Daniel Tosh sneaking up on three young, conventionally attractive women and feeling their stomachs before walking away, grinning; the first woman looks super uncomfortable; the second woman laughs uncomfortably; the third woman covers her belly and asks plaintively: "Why are you touching my tummy? Don't ever touch my tummy!"] Okay, guys—during our break, I need you to film yourself lighting touching women's stomachs while they're sitting down. But be careful! Because they like to pretend like they don't love it!
-Melissa McEwan's transcript of a segment from "Tosh.0"
Dear Viacom,

Not only did you think that it was okay to air this on television, you thought that it was such a great, funny clip that you posted it on-line to draw people into the show.

I'm not even going to bother to explain what's wrong with this clip (both the idea itself and the way it's discussed), because you know what's wrong with it.  I refuse to pretend that you're genuinely ignorant.

Your malicious hostility to consent and your promotion of misogyny have been duly noted.  Congratulations, this is completely vile.

Ordinarily I try to ask for reform, but this is so disgusting that I'm asking for punishment, too.  Whoever is in charge of giving that hateful dreck the okay needs a change of career, because that person's judgment is horribly, dangerously off.

Better programming, please.  And soon.  I love to watch TV and I love good comedy, but I can't watch any of your programming while you continue to promote this garbage.

With love,
Frank Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment